Monday, February 14, 2011

Wrestling with Leviathan - Overcoming Negative Emotions

Proverbs 6: 16-19
There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Leviathan is a spirit that wants to destroy ministries. It is a principality and comes against unity. It seeks to influence on a greater level than the individual level and will come against groups who are trying to walk in unity with each other. It works through individuals inside of groups seeking to divide and to destroy the group. In this way it is a principality because its objective is against the larger community. It works out of individual hearts and emotions; it works with the spirit of fear and conspires against everyone associated with a work of God.

Let me try to illustrate what I mean by sharing a vision that I had in the last number of weeks. In this vision I saw a monster outside of the house - I was actually in the basement of this house which usually represents the old nature; the hidden parts of ourselves. As I am walking down the hall I am fully aware that there is a monster outside of the house that wishes to consume me. Great fear enters my spirit as I seek a way of hiding from this miserable creature.

I come to understand that this created thing is not a creation of God but is actually a robot. I want you to think about what a robot is for moment. It is created by man to serve man. In some cases we create robots to protect us. It serves the need and purpose that it was created for. If it is is created for good then it will do good, but if it is created for bad purposes then it will do bad things.

I remember in the vision I went into a dark cellar but because the robot had powers that allowed it to see through walls it actually knew the exact spot that I was hiding. I could not hide from this robot. It crashed through the door beside my head sending terror into my being. I tried to get up and run away.

I entered a long hall with windows. This is when I saw the robot for the first time. Its fist alone was half the size of my body. It stood at least 14 feet high. It moved swiftly and effortlessly and I knew that it would have no problem destroying me if its sights were set on me.

I got down on the floor within this room and then the robot crashed its fist through the window trying to grab me. Just as it was about to reach me – it didn’t, but instead grabbed a person standing next to me and tore them to shreds. I actually saw it pull the person next to me completely a part. The person was destroyed.

Well as you can imagine this scene was a difficult one to witness. I woke up pretty disturbed but kind of relieved that the monster tore someone else apart instead of myself. I was relieved that it did not destroy me, that is, until I had a conversation with one of my mentors.

I told him the dream and he said, “Darren the robot is your emotions. Your emotions cannot consume you because your programming will not allow them to do so. They serve to protect you from something. This robot will consume others who stand near you but will not touch you because it was created by you to protect you." Oh my, can you imagine my horror and chagrine at the realisation of this truth. This was one of the more painful dream interpretations I have ever had to consider because I could sense the accuracy of it.

Many times I have had similar dreams about giant snakes. I have seen these snakes or crocodiles go on a rampage all around me but not come near me. I have seen them destroy people, picking them up and swallowing them whole. I have seen these snakes come slithering toward me but at the last minute choose to destroy someone else. Every time I saw this and would wake I was disturbed but relieved because at least I wasn’t destroyed.

But now I have remorse in my heart because I realize that my emotions were in agreement with the spirit of Leviathan. I didn’t have healing inside of my spirit when this fear would come upon me so I would react volcanically in rage destroying with my words those that were in ministry with me. As you can imagine this is not an easy thing for me to admit, but unless I expose this spirit in my life I cannot even begin to be free from it.

What is the Spirit of Leviathan? Todd Bentley describes Leviathan from Proverbs 6:16-19 quoted above. When you read through that list of the seven descriptions you will see how Leviathan stirs up contention within communities through lies, conflicts and the shedding of blood. This is the giant beast that eats and destroys persons within community. It is the spirit of anti-Christ in that it does the exact opposite of what Christ would do.

Self-preservation is a natural instinct for the old man. None who operate from Leviathan wishes to die. We will do almost anything to stay alive including allowing others to die in our place, but freedom only comes when I lay down my right to live. John 15:13 says, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”

Jesus’ example on the cross is the only way we will overcome Leviathan. We must be willing to lay down our right to be right, our right to have a good reputation, our right to be free from accusation and even our right to our own lives. We must be willing not to retaliate when all kinds of things have been spoken in evil against us. This is not something that we can do on our own strength, but comes from the heart of God. And when we have learned this lesson and walk in it, then God becomes our defender and protector, so that even when we walk in a place of danger we can remain in perfect peace.

God wishes to heal your human emotions so that the spirit of Leviathan does not have access to work through you any longer. He wishes to heal you so that this self-made robot will not destroy you or those that you are in fellowship with any longer. This death that we must die is to our self and if we will turn to the cross even now, then God will destroy this spirit’s influence on our lives and we will walk in our true unity with our brother’s and see God’s Kingdom established in the earth. Let's stop wrestling with Leviathan and allow God to heal us now.

7 comments:

  1. That is incredible Darren!!, God has been showing me this spirit and I just did not know what it was called, This part especially where you quoted below....

    Jesus’ example on the cross is the only way we will overcome Leviathan. We must be willing to lay down our right to be right, our right to have a good reputation, our right to be free from accusation and even our right to our own lives. We must be willing not to retaliate when all kinds of things have been spoken in evil against us. This is not something that we can do on our own strength, but comes from the heart of God. And when we have learned this lesson and walk in it, then God becomes our defender and protector, so that even when we walk in a place of danger we can remain in perfect peace.

    God has really been teaching Rhob and I to do this,to retaliate back in the opposite spirit. A spirit of love, His love! Staying in His spirit and blessing those that curse you and do you wrong! Thanks for sharing bro, that was awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, very encouraging and insightfull, God bless - Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Darren. Very necessary word to me right now. Will be reading more of your blog in the coming days...and using what I've learned.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You so much for the truth and to bind the enemy Thank You for power and deliverance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darren, Jesus prayed for His disciples, that they would be ONE as He and the Father were ONE and be bought to Complete Unity. This will not be accomplished because we agree with each other necessarily but that we agree with Christ. I find that there is confusion on this point. When we are ONE with Christ then we will be ONE with each other and conflict will cease. The Bride of Christ in our generation will be ONE with Christ and therefore ONE with each other to the glory of God! Then the world will know that Christ Jesus was sent by God the Father. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! im dealing with that spirit. And its not about me its about Him, and unity in the spirit is very important. I need to die to self completly so i can live in HIM forever! Thank you brother for the encouraging word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks im still not sure if this is true i m trying to understand where and why when i should be saying here Give it to GOD but in stead important running to man i thought i was crazy but i know i was in a spiritpal warfare i smoke and when i do it jumped me holds me down its so heavy i can't fight it and i will shake and twist as it has its way with me it bite it cold and times but it makes its self known i never thought in million years that i would go through this and yet it like i keep going.back waiting on GOD to redeem meet me free use me to make beloved out of unbelievers im u been foolish to think he would want to use me a crack head to do his will no he use Saul and many other i feel i have a calling on my life at times i feel like job and jona i feel like i running from GOD i know important not perfect but i feel i am condemning my self for know the truth the light and the way and yet wondering in darkness i know that Jesus with perville so i will keep the faith thank you ms Johnson

    ReplyDelete